More than 1000 residents of Bandaranayake Mawatha in Colombo are to be sent for quarantine today, army chief lieutenant general Shavendra Silva said.
On Monday, 24 people tested positive for the virus from the area which was placed under lockdown last Thursday, after a person tested positive for the virus.
According to the army commander, 1010 people from 242 families are to be sent for quarantine. Sri Lanka has 50 quarantine centres among which 35 are currently operational.
The area was placed under lockdown after a female resident who had developed symptoms within 15 days since returning from India had not obtained proper treatment until the 33rd day, director-general of health services Dr Anil Jasinghe said.
Officials had previously announced that all residents who were undergoing quarantine in the area will be subjected to COVID-19 tests.